Saturday, June 16, 2012

DADDY

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d7a49774f4451794d6a493d0d0a&blogview=true&campaign=blog_playback_link


I have so many memories of Daddy.  Daddy preaching, praying, singing. He pushed us to be the best that we could for God. His heart was honest about loving God.  He would take the whole family to prayer meetings. There was none of this getting a baby sitter or nursery.  I had to sit in these prayer meetings and pray, read, color, or go to sleep. :o)


Daddy is 88 and will be 89 in October.  He's had a stroke and so it has left him fighting Dementia and Anxiety.  He doesn't remember alot of things.  He is doing well in spite of all things.  He has become more childlike in his mentality. Still a clown and cutting up constantly.  lol


Growing up, Daddy would go to work which was across the street and when he came home I would run and meet him.  That was our normal every day thing.  Years of following him around and building bird pens, gardens, and such. There always seemed to be something that we had going on.


Daddy came from a very strict, ridiculously strict church.  Girls and Guys couldn't hold hands but one held a handkerchief and the other held the other end....lolol  The no cutting hair, no makeup, only dresses, etc....you get the picture.  We were imprisoned by man's law, not God's word.  It took Daddy years to come to understand this but when he did I saw freedom not only in his life but our lives.  Daddy has grown  in God in his latter years to know who God really is.


Daddy took me fishing once.  We didn't catch anything but it was our time together that left marks in my heart. I was the boy he didn't have. So I was kinda tomboyish. haha


 He took on the responsibility of helping me raise my kids after my divorce.  He didn't have't to and I didn't ask him to but he stepped and became that role in their lives and helped so much  with our survival.  Not many would do that.  He raised Kyle and Priscilla like they were his own and nurtured them, provided for them with all his heart.  He has been an amazing Grandpa to my kids.


Daddy wasn't and still isn't perfect but he left the seeds of God's word and taught us to respect others.  The things that have been implanted in my life are priceless.


In a world that I felt rejected, hopeless, violated, wounded....I am so thankful for that safe place that Daddy always kept for me.  A place that I could come, (Home) and be me, loved and excepted. Daddy never stopped telling me and reminding me of the call on my life even when I was in the deepest of sin. Him and Momma prayed and knew that I would return to God's plan one day and I did.


Because of the foundation he invested in....I am who I am....my kids are better and we strive for even a higher place of excellence.


Daddy was never rich in money, but he had a store house of wealth when it came to love, and loyalty.  He only got to go to the 4th grade because they needed him on the farm.  He worked long hard hours. So he couldn't read or write very well.  Yet he provided to the best of his ability with hard work and determination.


He worked at the same place for 55 years.  A nursery sold their business to Hermann Englemann and Daddy continued to work there.  They layed him off in 2008.  So he worked till he was 85 years old.  He wasn't afraid to work hard.  He put in the beds for the plants, and the irrigation system.  Disney came out to view Hermann's Nursery and tried to get Daddy to come work for them but Daddy was loyal to Hermann and stayed.  They were amazed at the system he had developed.  He developed it, with thought and God's help.


I remember playing checkers with Daddy.  He always won.  He was so tricky and skilled at it.  I watched him and began to learn the tricks of it.  Now I could beat him...if I wanted to....hahahaha


I still laugh at Daddy always painting our vehicles, blue or red.  Those were his favorite colors.  Mostly blue. He painted his straw hat blue.  lololol  If anything broke....PVC pipe could fix it right up....lol or duct tape...hahahaha Daddy was a fixer at heart.  


When Saturday came, it was time for Wrestling in the afternoon.  Then HEEHAW that night. lolol  Daddy didn't get into sports much but loved his wrestling. That is till it got fake....lololol


Daddy was a man of ritual.  He liked pattern.  He would get off work on Fridays, go cash his check, go get groceries at Winn Dixie, go get KFC and then come home.  Then on Saturdays, he would take us up town to the Post Office, Western Auto and the dime store.  If I was lucky I'd get a hot dog or gum from the dime store. 


Then when my kids were around, Fridays were the same but, on Saturdays, they would go to the Post Office, get gas, and Walmart.  I always knew where to find them.  The people at Walmart knew them.  lolol


I am so blessed to still have Daddy around.  His shuffle down the hall, and always playing westerns....stays in my mind.  His boyish smile is in my heart always. His mischievous eyes twinkle with delight as Momma picks at him.  Wouldn't trade him for the world.  :O)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Quiet your surrounding to hear God

In the times that we live in, everyone is yelling, protesting and arguing. It can cause anxiety, stress and anger. It's hard to get your...