Saturday, June 23, 2012

Freezing Foods

One thing I have learned through hard times is to conserve.  So I have a few tips to those who would like to know.





*When boiling meats, such as chicken, always save the broth from it if you are not going to use it.  You can cool it off and put in a plastic container or freezer bag.  It may be used for soups or gravy.


*Many times I open vegetables but have a couple of spoon fulls of vegetables left over.  Well instead of throwing them out.....take a plastic bowl (I often use a butter bowl) and put it in the freezer.  When you have those spoon fulls put it in the plastic container.  Eventually you will have enough for a good soup.


*If you have bananas going bad cut it up and freeze it.  You can use it for a banana nut bread later or oatmeal.


*Cut up onions, carrots, tomatoes and fresh vegetable you feel is fixing to go bad but you are unable to use at the time and put them in a freezer bag.  You can use them later for soups, spaghetti, sauces...etc...


*When I get greens, such as mustard, collards, I always cut the end off of them and root them to grow more.


* When I get green onions, I cut the ends off and plant them for more green onions to grow.


*I go to the bread store and get several loaves of bread.  So I freeze some of them till I am ready to use them.  I get a good deal while I can and store up.


*I save the ham bone for hams to put in the greens, peas, and beans.  It adds such flavor.


*Fried onion, and bacon will add flavor to just about anything.  I always try to keep some cut up and froze for later use.


*My daughter makes us oatmeal and puts fresh fruit in it and then we freeze it for tough times.


*You can make up cake, or cookie dough, freeze it for those day you just want to throw it in the oven.


*If you have pots and pans that you can't get the stains out of...try oven cleaner.


*Any left over turkey I cut up and make a gravy with it.  You can freeze it for another time.


*You can make up hamburger patties, meatballs ahead of time and freeze.


*We freeze up fruit for desserts on a later date.






Here are some sites to get more info on freezing your food:
http://www.canningbasics.com/freezing-foods.html#

>If you want to add any of your suggestion please feel free to comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quiet your surrounding to hear God

In the times that we live in, everyone is yelling, protesting and arguing. It can cause anxiety, stress and anger. It's hard to get your...