Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fond Memories ....Part 2

(This is Lorraine, Cindy, Momma, Daddy and Me in front in the red dress)


I remember our trips to Georgia every Summer when I was little.  I looked forward to them so much.  It was a time of getting to see all the family.  We would stay with different ones and have gatherings.  Daddy would take us on car rides and show us all the different places he grew up.


We mostly stayed with Uncle Talmadge and Aunt Ollie Mae.  They always opened their home to us and treated us well.  I remember their porch swing.  I would swing in the hot evenings watching the sun set and listening to the crickets.  Run and play in the yard with Chris and Bryan, my cousins.  We would sit under neath the Muscadine grape arch, talk and eat. lolol  Run, and slip on the hard Georgia clay.  Go over to their house, next door and Sandra would give us popcicles or take us to a little store where we got these little ice creams with the wooden spoon on top. Wonderful times.


I remember we had moved up there for a while so I went to school with Chris, Judy, Jimmy, and Lorraine.  I'll never forget one day faking sick to just go lay down, I was tired, and low and behold...there was Chris and Judy there too...lololol   We laid and talked all day.  lolol  Such silly heads we were.  


There were times we stayed with Uncle Alvie in his house.  I loved the wrap around porch and swing there. It was so much fun.  He always picked at me and made me laugh.


We would head over to Uncle BJ and Aunt Mary's house to visit.  There they had a black colored bird that always entertained me. I would listen to all the family chatter but enjoyed so much just being there.


We would visit Aunt Dollie Belle and Uncle Wilmer.  Such hospitality she showed.  I always loved her southern draw and spunk.  Daddy always said I was alot like Aunt Dollie Belle. lolol  There I would get to see briefly, Faye, Kim, and Mike.  It was a good visit.


Then there was going to Uncle Dewitt's and Aunt Dollie Jeans' house.  So much fun.  Aunt Dollie made things so comfortable and we laughed so much.  Daddy and Uncle Dewitt always seemed so much alike to me. My cousins, Roger, Dewayne, Larry were young then, but I enjoyed dragging them around as a baby. lolol


Aunt Lollis and Uncle Larson would usually come to some of the families houses to have a get together and we would spend time with them.  They lived over on the other side of Georgia.  Such a Sweet Lady and Charming Man.  Loved their spirits.


Lord help me...I remember living in a house with an outhouse....lolol  NO....it didn't just happen on Litttle house on the Prairie...hahaha....and the one didn't even have running water ...we had to get it from the well.   So when we finally got a house with indoor plumbing and running water I did a dance for joy....lolololol  
We had pecan trees in our yard.  So there were pecans every where.  I loved it.  Across the street they were growing tobacco.  Down the road they grew beans.  Oh the simple country life was such a sweet part of my raising I cherish and never will deny.  Nothing like a quite night listening to nature and watching stars, swinging with some lemonade and toast with fig jam.  Aunt Ollie Mae made the best fig Jam ever.  I miss all my Uncles and Aunts, cousins.  I cherish them.  They are my family and my friends.  


When we would get back from Georgia, we would go over to Aunt Laura Mae and Uncle Deal's house here in Apopka.  We would visit and share all the news of Georgia.  There I'd get to see Joyce alot.  Every now and then I would get to see Earl or Geneva and their families.  It was good having family local.


Now the Summers are quite here at home with Momma and Daddy and the kids.  Not a Summer goes by that I don't think of my family and miss them.  Times goes on and we all live busy lives, but the memories stay engraved in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quiet your surrounding to hear God

In the times that we live in, everyone is yelling, protesting and arguing. It can cause anxiety, stress and anger. It's hard to get your...